Full course description
Understanding Homelessness: The Basics will provide users with an overview of homelessness in the United States, its magnitude, causes, and solutions. Students will develop a basic understanding of homelessness to better inform their work with people experiencing homelessness. This course is intended for people new to working in the homeless services provider settings or just interested in better understanding homelessness in the United States. The techniques and tools throughout the course are used with the adult learner in mind. At the conclusion of the course, participants will be able to understand:
- The magnitude of homelessness in the United States.
- The causes of homelessness.
- The solutions to homelessness.
- This course was originally developed as part of a joint effort with betweeen the Alliance and the National Health Care for the Homeless Council to provide additional resources to communities in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is still relevant today.
- No prior knowledge of topic required to enroll in the course.
- Self-paced course can be completed in 60 minutes.
- Can access courses from smartphone, tablet, and desktop.
- Users can access course for 90 days after enrollment, after 90 days, users will only be able to access content they have previously completed.
- The course flows sequentially and users are required to take and successfully pass quizzes to advance to the next module. Users who successfully complete the course will receive a Microcredential as well as a Certificate. (CEU's are not provided).
Discounted Course/Refund Policies:
Refund Policy - for more information and/or to apply for a course refund please visit see our policy here.
Course Discount - The Alliance has limited funds available to offer free or reduced cost courses to people and organizations with limited financial flexibility. There is no guarantee a course will be free or reduced. Each request is evaluated individually and granted based on availability of resources. If you are currently experiencing homelessness or have experience homelessness within the last five years, your 501c3 organization's operating budget is less than $500K, or your 501c3 organization's operating budget is between $500K and $1M and would like to register five or more individuals, please see more information on how to apply for a discounted course(s) here.